Friday, 11 March 2016

USA Travel Tips and Advice

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Going on an adventure can be EXCITING, AMAZING and of course maybe a bit SCARY!
Last year, I participated in a work and travel student exchange programme in the US. I worked 3.5 months in California, on an island called Santa Catalina Island-22 miles off Long Beach, Los Angeles. After my legal date of work was due, my visa granted me a grace period which means you stay up to another 4 weeks to travel. My 4 weeks sightseeing involved; Pacific Coast Highway- Long Beach to San Francisco; Malibu; Pismo Beach; Las Vegas; Grand Caynon-Arizona; Huntington Beach; Hollywood; Santa Monica; Washington D.C; New York City; Buffalo and Nigara Falls.
Pertaining to my travelling, I did encounter some problems along the way (nothing to serious). To help people prepare going away travelling, I have listed and discussed areas that are essential. Please note the order there in doesn't represent the best way to arrange travelling.

Accommodation

Looking at accommodation, you are probably thinking let's stay in a posh hotel at Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive. Well, think again! Unless, you have a lot of money to spend. If you have the cash to spend at a hotel, then please note whatever the total says for your duration of stay that is before taxes are added on. If you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay, then I recommend the hostels (again tax is added but not much). I quite enjoyed staying in the hostels and met people around the world who I keep in regular contact with. Depending on the location you are staying in America, the average a hostel charges is $30+. Sometimes you can get a hostel for $20. This depends on the time of the week and year. A great website to find great hostels to stay is www.hostelworld.com. The hostels organise activities for people staying in the accommodation. When I stayed in Hollywood for a few nights, the hostel organised the guided tour walk up the Hollywood sign, Beverly Hills, The Griffith Observatory and Venice Beach.

If you are thinking of crashing at a hosts' house, then I recommend www.couchsurfing.com. To be honest with you, I didn't try this. However, what I have heard from is you can have an enjoyable experience. I have friends who have used this website and stayed at a family's house. Most of the hosts don't charge you money to stay or some may-depends!

The third website for me to recommend to you is www.airbnb.com. This is quite similar in a way to couch surfing, but you have to pay for the amount of days you intend to stay at someone's house. Also, please note, most hosts may have you between 1-14 days. This depends on their schedule with other travellers who may want to stay at their house. Again, this was a website I didn't try.

Shuttle Buses to/from airports

For other transport when arriving in the airport after a long flight, I recommend the shuttle bus services. They are cheap and reasonable which take you to the door of your accommodation. Either pay $70+ in a taxi to your hostel/hotel/other or get a shuttle bus and pay $15-$20. I took the shuttle buses all the time. The drivers were hilarious-especially in LA.

Uber/Lyft

Two good car services to use around the US are Uber and Lyft. They are quite reasonable and the fares are cheaper than taxis. First of all, download the app on your apple or android mobile device, sign up and register with your bank card details. This is a good way to have your ride paid for if you don't have cash on you. Your first ride is FREE when you sign up. Make sure you take advantage of this-especially if you are travelling a distance. Look for out for special offers and promotional deals with both Uber and Lyft.

Cash Cards

For entering America on a work and travel visa, I had to have the minimum of $800. As I didn't have a US bank account, I got myself a cash card visa. A good place to go to is Thomas Cook. They gave me two cards in case I lost one. Also, got given a pin number to withdraw money from an atm. Please note some atms charge between $2-$4 as a service charge for withdrawing money.

Emergency money from your own bank account

When it comes to finance abroad, it is vital you bring your own bank card with you from the country you live in. This is incase your travel card runs out and you need to use other money you have. During my last few days in the US, my US bank account declined my card which I couldn't use at all-especially at atms as they thought someone had stolen my bank card. This was due to my travelling habits. Luckily, I was able to get access to funds in my bank account from my home country as I brought my card with me. Please make sure you do the same.

Power-bank charger for phone

If you have a Power-bank with you that's great. If you don't have one, please ensure you get one before you leave your country if you are travelling on your own. This saves time, anxiety and patience if you do. Nothing is worse than getting lost 3 hours in the dark. However, may be fun walking around with all the other tourists who have done the same. Make sure your phone has GPS and a good signal strength such as 3G or 4G. 

Day Trips

If you are looking for great day trips or a few days trip package holidays to different states, I suggest you visit www.taketours.com. I booked a day trip to the Grand Caynon and got a GREAT discount. The trip originally was $100, I got it for $60. The best time to get the deals is September and October as it's the end of the summer season. I stayed in Las Vegas and got on the coach bus I booked with this company to get to Arizona for the Grand Caynon. 

Copies of maps

Where ever you are staying, make you sure you get a copy of a local map or big map if it's a city. One time, my phone ran out of battery in New York City and I'm lucky I had a map. People are very friendly in the city to help you if you go to the nearest café, shopping mall or store-you get my drift. Also as well, the police are there to ask as well. When I asked a policewoman where to go pointing on my map, she screamed with excitement on my accent and that I was from Scotland-bless her. You can pick up FREE maps from hostels.

Keeping Safe

One of the most important (to me main) priority is keeping safe when abroad-especially travelling on your own-and if female. Stay away from remote areas and parks at night time if walking along. Also, stay in well lit areas and make sure you are surrounded by a lot of tourists or families. I got lost one night in Washington D.C when my battery died on my phone, I was alone but stayed close to big crowds so I didn't look vulnerable walking on my own. 

Dinning and eating out

Going out for dinner is very popular-especially if this is what you do a lot in your home country. If you go out for dinner with a group of 5 people or more, a 20% tip service charge is automatically added to your bill. There are plenty of apps to download on your phone to help you choose the best place to eat. I would like to recommend my favourite restaurant-The Cheesecake Factory. I went to The Cheesecake Factory for the first time in San Francisco with friends. The meals for lunch and dinner are delicious. If you are a BIG fan of cheesecake, you won't be disappointed.

Thank you very much for reading my blog and for your time. Please share this with friends and family. Take care, bye for now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment